QSI Philosophy and Objectives
The schools of QUALITY SCHOOLS INTERNATIONAL (QSI) have been founded in order to provide a quality education in the English language for expatriates living in the international community. Local citizens who want their children to be educated in English are also accepted. The schools recognize that most of the students are enrolled for only two or three years and have diverse educational backgrounds. The philosophy of QSI includes the following:
Attitudes Toward Learning
We believe that more learning will occur if the student has a desire to learn, has positive feelings concerning his/her school environment, and succeeds in his/her work. A comfortable atmosphere of caring and acceptance established by the school is considered important, so that each student is encouraged to strive for excellence and to be creative. This is enhanced by an aesthetically pleasing environment with a view to appreciation of beauty and order. Each student’s possibility of success increases when he works at the appropriate level of difficulty and senses positive expectations from his teachers.
Areas of Learning
Mastery of basic skills is considered a vital part of education, essential for success in studies of other subjects as well as in most situations in life. A broad and varied program of physical education, fine arts, and other activities is also considered important to enhance the interest and education of the students.
For a useful and meaningful life we encourage the development of personal qualities leading to acceptable values and harmonious relationships.
An understanding and acceptance of the different cultures represented in the school are considered important. We believe emphasis should be placed on gaining an appreciation and knowledge of the region and the local country in particular.
We believe it is essential to have an awareness of the value of protecting and improving our environment.
- Attitudes toward learning
- Areas of Learning
- Social Behaviour
- Cultural Awareness
- Environmental Awareness
Attitudes toward learning
Functions of the Administration:
- To recruit teachers who have a love for children, who have positive expectations of children, and who are willing to give the time and energy necessary to meet the needs of individual students.
- To employ teachers who have acceptable values and who believe that their lifestyle should be a positive influence on their students.
- To employ teachers directly from outside of the country, if necessary, to provide experienced and successful teachers for specific positions.
- To employ enough teachers to maintain reasonably small class sizes.
- To help teachers meet the individual needs of students by employing selected paraprofessionals.
- To provide spacious buildings and classrooms which are functional yet include local architectural designs with a view to blending into the local environment.
- To test each student in reading and mathematics upon initial enrollment to ensure a proper entry level in these classes.
- To encourage parental support of the school with a view to enhancing the learning and the development of positive attitudes of the students.
Functions of teaching staff:
- To continually assess the student in all areas of learning to ensure appropriate learning tasks leading to challenging work, but work in which the student is capable of experiencing success.
- To ensure that the student knows what learning tasks are expected.
- To provide appropriate learning experiences and allow each student sufficient time on a task to be able to experience success.
- To provide additional learning experiences, if mastery is the goal and if the task is not mastered after the initial teaching/learning experience.
- To reward students equally for mastering learning tasks regardless of the path taken to mastery; not to give a higher reward to one who required a greater input of energy nor to one who easily and quickly attained mastery.
- To evaluate students in a way in which a student competes against himself/herself rather than against a fellow student.
- To inspire students to help them see what they can be and what they can accomplish with a view to excellence and creativity.
- To provide a positive school atmosphere by working with a cooperative spirit, giving support to one another, and encouraging a high morale and efficiency within the staff.
Areas of Learning
- To provide learning situations leading to mastery of appropriate topics in English and Mathematics for all students.
- To provide quality instruction in Science and Cultural Studies for all students.
- To offer quality programs of instruction in Physical Education, Music, and Art to all students.
- To provide classes in Intensive English as appropriate.
- To offer local and foreign languages as appropriate.
- To offer selected courses in national studies including non-English languages as appropriate, in support of academic adjustment upon repatriation.
- To offer courses in Technology to all students.
- To offer varied activities and elective classes which are not part of the regular academic program.
- To involve students in field trips and activities related to their classes, but away from school.
- To provide the appropriate materials, resources, and equipment for all areas.
- To encourage an understanding of one’s self with a view to developing acceptable values such as patience, kindness, unselfishness, honesty, and consideration for others.
- To provide a positive and secure atmosphere, treating the students honestly and fairly.
- To encourage each student to feel good about himself/herself and to help him/her promote similar feelings in fellow students.
- To provide guidance in problem-solving and decision-making situations.
- To develop a sense of responsibility and to encourage leadership.
- To develop an awareness of environmental concerns such as overpopulation, pollution, waste of natural resources, destruction of wildlife and natural areas, and personal health.
- To promote a concern for the protection of the environment.
- To provide activities and projects for students which involve them in improving the environment.