Kyiv International School’s Counseling Program is developmental by design, comprehensive in scope, and systematic in its implementation. This program is designed to maximize each student’s academic, social, and career development potential. The major functions of the counselor are as follows: Academic
- Assist in the evaluation of incoming school records for admissions and placement decisions.
- Assist in creating a comprehensive schedule and academic plan for the students’ time at KIS.
- Monitor student progress throughout the year and develop an academic plan for students experiencing difficulties.
- Guide students and parents through the college application and admissions process.
- Support students and families with special learning needs and make referrals to outside support services when necessary.
- Help students acquire the skills to investigate the world of work in relation to knowledge of self and to make informed career decisions.
- Give students strategies to achieve future career success and satisfaction.
- Help students understand the relationship between personal qualities, education, training and the world of work.
- Facilitate problem solving and communication among all members of the school community including students, teachers, parents and administrators.
- Support students and families with immediate social-emotional needs and make referrals to outside support services when necessary.
Students may see the counselor during their free time in the school day, before and after school, or during class with consent from the classroom teacher or at the request of the counselor. Parents may set appointments by calling Kyiv International School.