School Closure Announcement
Updated: March 11, 2020
Thank you all for your support and understanding as we all work together to keep our community as healthy as we possibly can as the COVID-19 virus continues to spread.
Due to the current circumstances, the school campus will be closed beginning March 12 and extending through to April 3rd (or until further notice or update).
We request that our students and parents DO NOT come to the campus during this campus closure as all functions have been canceled. Anyone needing to gain access to the campus will need to get permission from the Director. The Security Team will continue to use the travel questionnaire and take the temperature of the visitor before entry is allowed. The facilities team will increase cleaning and disinfecting of the entire campus on a daily basis.
For all of our KIS community we understand that this may be a time of distress. Though our school campus is closed, we are not “closing” school and we are committed to keep students engaged through online learning. While not ideal, this will provide a sense of continuity in our students’ learning. We encourage you to keep your children engaged in their learning despite the circumstances.
Please look for the following communications:
- The school will send further information in the KIS Informer.
- Elementary parents will receive emails from homeroom teachers.
- Middle School and Secondary students will receive email instructions and communication via their Microsoft 365 school accounts.
Updated Information and Guidelines
- You can find updated information and guideline on the KIS website.
- The following is a link to the CDC website on Getting Your Home Ready
- National Association of School Psychologists has some great advice when talking to children about COVID-19.
School Closure Criteria:
The decision to close the school as a response to the COVID-19 outbreak is based on the criteria in the school’s Emergency Operations Plan (EOP) with our most update Viral Infection Matrix. The school’s Crisis Management team, QSI Leadership, and Advisory Board will continue to monitor the situation, recommendations, and options, when making a decision.
Criteria taken into consideration for KIS Closure:
- The Ukrainian Ministry of Health declares that schools in Kyiv/Ukraine should close.
Criteria for KIS re-opening:
- If the Ukrainian Ministry of Health declared that schools should close, KIS will re-open when the Ministry gives the go-ahead.
Online Learning Plan
- Parents will need to provide internet access for their students and a working device to connect with their teachers.
- Please do your best to provide an environment conducive to learning (access to technology, quiet, and safe).
- Teachers have made many preparations to continue school using online learning.
- Sticking with the routine and being able to see their teachers/classmates help students stay on focused and feel connected with their learning.
- See the below schedules that will be used to reduce the window of time that students will need to connect with teachers.
Elementary (5-10 yo) Schedule for 5+ Days Closure
|9:00||Reading or Writing (depending on Red/Black day)|
|10:00||Mathematics or Cultural Studies/Science (depending on Red/Black day)|
|11:00||Specials (see schedule below)|
|13:30||Library Read Aloud – recorded the day before and share out with teacher to share with parents|
|13:00 – 15:35||Work time, safety netting, and individual meetings (when needed)|
Elementary Specials Schedule
|PE||5-6 yo||7 yo||8 yo||9 yo||10 yo|
|Music||10 yo||5-6 yo||7 yo||8 yo||9 yo|
|Art||9 yo||10 yo||5-6 yo||7 yo||8 yo|
|Technology||8 yo||9 yo||10 yo||5-6 yo||7 yo|
|LOE||7 yo||8 yo||9 yo||10 yo||6 yo|
Middle School and Secondary Schedule for Closure Days
Below is the breakdown for how each day will look for students and teachers. Students should check in with their teacher daily (if possible). The time is reduced to a daily 2-hour time frame which allows students to only dedicate a couple hours each day to face-to-face interaction and instructions. The rest of the day can be used to complete assignments or contact teachers for support.
|9:00 – 9:25||Block 1 (Conference/Virtual Class/ Or Specific Instruction)|
|9:30 – 9:55||Block 2 (Conference/Virtual Class/ Or Specific Instruction)|
|10:00 – 10:25||Block 3 (Conference/Virtual Class/ Or Specific Instruction)|
|10:30 – 10:55||Block 4 (Conference/Virtual Class/ Or Specific Instruction)|
|11:00 – 12:00||Teacher Office Hours of Contact|
|11:00 – 15:00||Independent work time|
Crisis Management Team and the Well-Being Team
The Crisis Management team will be in daily contact to evaluate the situation and monitor the online learning plan. Any necessary adjustments will be communicated to teachers, parents, and students.
The Well-Being Team will consist of the Director, Principals, Counselors and School Doctor. The team will meet daily during a school closure. The role of the team will be to:
- Guide, advise and support teachers on how to ensure the well-being of our students remotely.
- Ensure the well-being of our staff
- Guide, advise and support parents on how to help with the well-being of their own children.
If a teacher is ill and unable to lead their class during this period, we will try to ensure the learning continues if at all possible. If this is not possible, the Principal will contact the parents and students concerned to let them know.
Our school office team, including, the Business, Admissions, and Divisional offices will continue to operate as normally as possible.
IB and AP Exams
If our school closes, the IB & AP Coordinator will communicate directly with the IB & AP students. At this point, mock exam assessments may be adjusted, if necessary. There are currently no changes to the IB DP and AP External exams in May.
SAT and other external exams
It is most likely that these exams will be postponed and then re-organized with the support of the exam agency. We will communicate directly with any students affected.
All on-campus food services will be suspended until school re-opens. Contact KFN, if you have any questions.
All school transport services will be suspended during closure.
Important Contact Information During the School Campus Closure
General school phone number – +38 068 340 7232
Please do not hesitate to contact me for anything.
With kind regards,