Graduate Studies Frequently Asked Questions

How do I apply?

Do I have to be a US Citizen?

The short answer is “no.”  You do not have to be a US citizen to enroll with SUNY Buffalo (although the process is more complicated and time-consuming,) nor do you have to be a US citizen to receive a Master’s Degree from SUNY Buffalo.  However, to receive government issued credentials (administrative, teaching, or otherwise) you may or may not need specific citizenship.  Non-US citizens should consider their personal goals before committing to enrolling and/or taking QSI Graduate Studies courses. Feel free to email the program coordinator at to discuss these issues.  

How do I pay?

  • We will submit your name to QSI Finance, and the accountants at headquarters will deduct the payment from your internal account. At the same time, you should inform your school’s accountant who will update your internal account locally.

Must I enroll with SUNY, even if I want to take only one course?

  • Yes. You must enroll with SUNY Buffalo to receive graduate level credit. Note: If you enroll as a non-degree student, you may transfer up to 6 credits only if you change your mind and decide to seek a Master’s Degree.

Is there a list of all courses available through QSI Graduate Studies with SUNY Buffalo?

  • The most recent course catalog is available here.

Why are summer courses held in Kyiv?

  • Until another site is approved by SUNY Buffalo, summer courses must be held in Kyiv, Ukraine. This is due to internal policies at State University of New York, not QSI or QSI Grad Studies.

For the Leadership Cohort, why not align SUNY Buffalo classes with NY?  Why Maine?

NY’s credentialing requirements are not friendly to out-of-state applicants.  Otherwise, we would align our Leadership Cohort coursework with NY requirements.  Maine requirements, however, are more friendly to out-of-state applicants.  There are likely other states, as well, that would be suitable.