Providing a safe and healthy learning environment for our students, staff, and families is a top priority for QSI International School of Zhuhai. We take this issue very seriously. QSI Zhuhai has strict precautionary measures in place to safeguard our students from the dangers of engaging in physical activities outdoors on days when air quality is poor. These rules also apply to field trips.
Outdoor Air Quality Protocols
QSI Zhuhai closely monitors outdoor air quality. Readings are updated every hour. Based on these measurements, QSI Zhuhai takes action to protect students from the dangers of air pollution using the Air Quality Response Index Chart below. QSI Zhuhai will use the air quality index that is reported by the U.S. Consulate. At the time of the writing of this policy, it is the most accessible and reliable reading for air quality in the region. Special attention will be given at 10 AM before recess, at 12 PM before lunch recess, and at 3 PM before school sports.
(AQI Policy updated and revised January 1, 2018)
Step-by-Step: Making the Call
- School nurse & administrators (or event organizer) checks air quality reading;
- Discussion takes place, as needed, regarding pollution levels, planned activities and venues, and potential consequences
- School administrators (together with event organizers) confer if necessary
- School administrators make decision based on health and safety of students
- Decision is announced via school internal communication channels;
- School administrators (and/or event organizers) continue to monitor and reevaluate levels, if applicable.
- School administrators (and/or event organizers) update the school community via external communication channels regarding affected practices or events.