Welcome to QSI International School of Shenzhen Nanshan Campus!
QSI International School of Shenzhen at Nanshan, a warm and loving, culturally diverse family, strives to provide a quality education that guarantees daily support and challenge to every student, through a structured program of successful experiences.
Preschool and 5 Year-Old Program
Ms. Claire Berger
Director of Instruction, Ages 2-5
Preschool: 2, 3, and 4-Year-Olds Program
The Early Childhood program offers participation in a variety of play-related and hands-on experiences designed to develop learning readiness, physical coordination and development, and the social skills necessary to be successful in a classroom setting. Emphasis is placed on the development of self-confidence, self-esteem, and natural excitement to learn. A full spectrum of activities is provided including Music, Art, Physical Education, and play.
Toileting Independence in the Nanshan Preschool:
The preschool classes (2, 3, and 4 year-old classes) at the PLE and Nanshan campus aim for all children to gain toileting independence with support from home. Preschool teachers will support students in developmentally appropriate ways as they learn to become in control of their bodies as they grow. We understand that all young children can have toileting accidents.
Toilet Independence Expectations: to help your child gain toilet independence...
- children in the 2 year-old class are expected to come to school in underwear only and provide many changes of clothing as needed; diaper pants (aka "pull-ups") can be worn during the nap time. Children who wear diaper pants are expected to grow to be able to change back into their underwear with little or no help.
- it is the goal that children in the 2 year-old class become independent in the toilet (only occasional accidents) during the school year
- children in the 3 year-old class are expected to come to school in underwear only, including during the nap time, and provide changes of clothing as needed
- It is the goal that 3 year old children show toilet independence (few to no accidents) within the first month of attendance
- children in the 4 year-old class are expected to come to school in underwear only, including during the nap time, and provide changes of clothing as needed
- teachers and paraprofessionals will help children to clean themselves and change their clothes if a toilet accident occurs
- teachers and paraprofessionals will regularly take children to the toilet to encourage a toilet routine; children can go to the toilet as needed
- parents agree to actively support toilet training at home, including during school holidays
- teachers will give parents regular feedback on their child's toilet training progress (for children who are not yet independent)
- if a child is having particular trouble in toilet training, the teacher and parent will agree on a support plan to follow, including a timeline
- in the event that a child is not showing improvement in gaining toilet independence after a support plan is followed, a child may be asked to leave school for a period of time until progress is made at home. No fees will be refunded in this event, but a space will be kept for the child.
This academically oriented program develops skills and attitudes children need for future academic disciplines. A variety of experiences develop eye/hand/body coordination, and reading readiness. The program introduces Reading, Mathematics, Oral and Written Language, Science, and Cultural Studies. Mandarin is taught as a foreign language. There is a continued emphasis on personal development through varied classes of Music, Computers, Art, and Physical Education.
Ms. Gabi Valla
Director of Instruction, Ages 6-10
6- and 7-Year-Olds Program
A component of QSI's mission is keeping the urge to learn alive in every child. We measure success by the accomplishments and attitudes of the students. An environment that promotes learning and success stimulates continued growth. Our program includes Reading and Writing Literacy, Mathematics, Cultural Studies, and Science. Students also attend classes in the visual and performing arts, as well as Mandarin and Computer Literacy. Our success orientations foster character development at age level appropriateness. Through mastery learning, appropriate levels, time and resources, our students are successful.
8-, 9-, and 10 Year-Olds Program
Children in ages 8, 9, and 10 take a full schedule of Mathematics, Literacy, Science and Cultural Studies—and Mandarin as a foreign language. The students also explore and learn about Art, Music, Technology, Library and Physical Education through Specials classes on a weekly basis, as well as enrichment lessons taught by the homeroom teacher throughout the year. All of these components, taught with the concept of mastery learning, help the whole student grow into a lifelong learner.
The Intensive English (IE) program is for students that are in need of special attention in verbal and written English. This program is designed to assist students for whom English is not the first language. The goal of the program is to bring students up to a level of academic English, including oral competency, which allows them to transfer to the regular literacy classes as rapidly as possible.
The approximate class size for each 3- to 10-year-olds class is 18–20 children with one teacher and one paraprofessional or assistant. The 2-year-old class is limited to 18 students with one teacher and two paraprofessional assistants.
To enter the 2-year-olds class a child will have completed 2 years of life no later than 31 October.
To enter the 3-year-olds class a child will have completed 3 years of life no later than 31 October.
To enter the 4-year-olds class a child will have completed 4 years of life no later than 31 October.
To enter the 5-year-olds class a child will have completed 5 years of life no later than 31 October.
To enter the 6-year-olds class a child will have completed 6 years of life no later than 31 October.
To enter the 7-year-olds class a child will have completed 7 years of life no later than 31 October.
To enter the 8-year-olds class a child will have completed 8 years of life no later than 31 October.