PSG Meeting Minutes
PSG Meeting Minutes
December 3rd, 2018
- International Day feedback & survey
- limited volume of responses to the survey, overall positive feedback, providing some highlights from the responses
- Timing of the event - 2/3 respondents agree with this event to happen at year beginning, 1/5 back to spring.
- Monday should be avoided for the International Day - this year we arranged this way due to last minute change of DWB timing, normally Int. Day closes the International week
- pros - school community gets closer and more cooperative for the year in autumn; deliveries to embassies for the DWB (part can be used on Int. Day)
- cons - new families might be hesitating to run the booth; busy season with receptions, DWB preparations; not favorable weather to run the event outside
There is no win-win strategy, we will consider both pross & conss when designing the school calendar for the next year.
- Buffet lunch - to serve all students irrespective of the slot they come to lunch, we agreed to ask the parents next year they can split the dish they prepare to few portions, they will be served throughout whole lunch period to keep the variety for all participants (school has already done this recently on the event).
- Opening ceremony - some performences were reported too long and to have some sound issues - the venue is difficult to sound properly though the school has upgraded the equipment for this year and continues to do so currently. Not many countries presented on the stage - iniative to be taken up by the volunteering parents.
On behalf of PSG I really want to emphasise: ALL VOLUNTEERING PARENTS DID AMAZING JOB RUNNING THE BOOTHS, PERFORMING, DONATING THE DISHES etc. YOU ARE THE ONES CONTRIBUTING TO SUCH SPECIAL EXPERIENCE. THANK YOU!
- Winter concert preparation
- sign up sheet to volunteering - still available slots to help the event, you may sign up using the following link
- raffle baskets - we have food basket, wine/beer baskets, will get a cheese one etc. - will be displayed in the entrance area of the school - you can start purchasing the tickets by this Wednesday to start raffling. The price of raffle is 5 KM (all proceeds go to fund the QSI community to serve the kids). Raffle ticket sale will terminate prior start of the Winter concert performance - buy the tickets prior 6:30 pm Tuesday 11th December! Winners to be announced on the stage after the performences.
- food donations - room parents are asked to coordinate with class parents - so far
- 5,6 and 10 YOCs preparing the sweet
- Preschool, 7,9 YOCs preparing the savoury
- Secondary III and IV will organize pizza
- others focus on raffle baskets
Essential to mention - any food donation should be accompanied by information of the alergens/nutrition- nuts, pork, beef, chicken; highly recommended to have individual portion wrapped food to sale.
all tickets for food /drinks (1 KM tickets, the usual price for food portion is 2 KM) as well as for raffle (5 KM) can be bought on entrance to the event
- EYOF 2019 & ski weeks
- European Youth Olympic Festival (EYOF 2019) will take place in Sarajevo & East Sarajevo from 9th to 16th February
- we are working on organizing some events for QSI children - EYOF 2019 mascot Groodvy will visit QSI in January, we will visit Olympic museum in Zetra and many other things - stay tuned, we will provide you details shortly
- ski week (9YOC - 13 YOC) is rescheduled to start 18th February
- PSG will invite School coordinator on ski weeks (Mrs. Selma) on our next meeting on January 14th to provide you with details. We invite the parents to share with us the feedback / comments regarding ski week to address that on this meeting.
- Book swap / Rooths & Shoots
- Book swap January 23rd - let us exchange the books within the Community, kids might bring their already read books to school to exchange for others they like
- sign up sheet for volunteering parents will be shared well in advance to help to set up & supervise the even
- Winter Clothes Drive & Sale to support the charities might be accompanying the Book swap - will provide you with details.
- Dog food drive - up the end of Q2, thank you if you have donated food already.
The next PSG meeting shall be held on January 14th. .
Thank you for your support. Your PSG
- Communications amongst parents / Edmodo
- PSG will provide Google spreadsheet template to room parents which can be sent to class parents via homeroom teachers. The aim is the room parents gather effectively the contact details of class parents and to enable the parents to be able to communicate with one another if needed. Of course, providing/sharing the contact details is on voluntary basis. Still, we in PSG encourage all the class parents for sharing the contact details (at least with "their room parents", it really helps to communicate all necessary issues and news. Jakub will send separate e-mails to room parents with some details on sharing the file;
- Edmodo as a means to communicate within the PSG group of parents still has not been fully implemented and needs to be explored further; PSG members are asked to please sign up for the Edmodo PSG Group
- Should the room parents be willing to create a Edmodo group for the class parents, they need to use other e-mail address than they are using for their parent account. Please let know PSG and Mr. Damir (IT teacher) can set up the e-mail for room parents (managing the Edmodo group on the previous QSI domain;
- Preparations for the International Day, Nov. 19th
- we are happy to announce that 13 countries will be running the booths and some other to be involved providing the special dishes on the lunch. Thank you all parents involved! You effort and help is much appreciated and will make the International Day great learning experience for the children;
- Mrs. Martin is currently working on locations for each country booth and the grades rotation which shall be confirmed shortly;
- there will be approximately 15 minutes slots for the presentations of the country booths, pls adjust your animation on the booth accordingly if needed;
- rooms/booths set up either on Friday, Nov. 16, from 4:30-6 pm or on Sunday, Nov. 18, from 3-5 pm There will last moment chance to finish the decorations on Monday November 19th when the children will participate on the Opening ceremony /flags parade;
Each country is asked to confirm on which days they would like to set up or whether they’d like to set up on both days - please notify to PSG and school administration in advance;
- International buffet lunch - There is no school lunch provided on Monday 19th, so we kindly ask all parents to provide a typical national dish to share with students and parents. The school will send out a form stating all necessary information shortly;
- The sign stating the ingredients (e.g. nuts, pork, beef) for each dish should ideally be scotch-taped to the dish. Much appreciated is to state the dish country origin;
- Preparations for the Winter Concert, Dec. 11th
- The event will take place in the Vogosca Culture centre (the same venue as the last year, few minutes walk from the school), starting 6:30 pm;
- The concert program is expected to last approx.1 hour and half ;
- Winter Concert is also important fundraising event for the school community through the sale of tickets, sale of raffle tickets and food sale to support the school activities (athletics, MUN etc.);
- Parent volunteers will be needed for the set up of the event and run the sales of food and drinks during the evening and clean up afterwards; "Sign Up Genius" tool will be used to “recruit” volunteers. Will be shared on QSI Facebook and in the Howler as we approach the event;
It is essential the parents are involved ,so please consider to sign up to help the event to succeed.
- Room parents are asked to:
- 8, 10 and 12 YOC and Secondary I-II to r coordinate and prepare raffle baskets with themes (e.g.tea/coffee basket, beer basket, chocolate, wine/cheese basket etc.). Previous years experience was to ask all class parents for some minor amount (approx 10 KM) to prepare the basket. Would be much appreciated to bring the prepared baskets to school by the next PSG meeting (December 3rd) to have them displayed in the school premises prior the event;
PSG Hint - there is a great variety of wicker baskets available in the 1st the stand on the left side of the road towards the airport (crossing the bridge from the highway)
- all other classes to coordinate sweet/savory dishes or
- to coordinate money for the purchase of pizza (Secondary III and IV).
Please note the children might not have home dinner that day, it is preferred to have more savory dishes. It is advisable to get a contribution of up to 10 KM per family to cover the costs. Any volunteering parents are again much welcomed and appreciated.
- there have been some changes in the school calendar:
- Tuesday, January 8 the school resumes after the winter break
- Ski week (9 to 13 YOC) has been postponed to start February 18th
- Book swap will take place on January 23rd - you may start bringing the books that you would to exchange/donate to school or sending them along with your kids even now.
The next PSG meeting shall be held on December 3rd.
Thank you for your support.
October 1st, 2018
- Room parents and communication
- All classes have been assigned the room parents, Mrs. Megan Houck joined to serve the Secondary III and IV; the only exemption is 11 YOC- if there will be no volunteer found up to next PSG meeting, Mrs. Jamie Martin would agree to serve as a room parent for this class.
- The room parents face difficulties obtaining the e-mails and their permission to use from the class parents, it has been agreed the PSG minutes as well as all essential communication can be shared via the homeroom teacher as it seems the most feasible communication so far. Furthermore, all documents will be posted on the QSI facebook page and a link will be placed in the Howler.
- Using Edmodo is considered as other communication channel to share the information with the parents; there will be testing on the features of Edmodo for the PSG group until the next PSG meeting. Based on the results, the room parents will decide whether to run Edmodo for their class communication. PSG and QSI will provide support in set up.
- The International Day
- There is a change of the date to Monday, November 19th, kicking off the International day
- Parents can participate in a number of ways:
(i) parents can organize a Country Booth, described in the Guidance Flyer;
(ii) all parents are welcomed to prepare a dish typical of their home country for the International Buffet Lunch;
(iii) parents and/or students, outside performers can present some performance related to their home country during f the Opening Ceremony
- Parents organising a country booth are asked to designate a Lead Country Representative to be the liaison with the PSG and the school. Country Booth Forms and Guidance flyer will be circulated by email/Facebook/ Howler.
- Country Representative should submit the completed Country Booth form back to PSG no later than Wednesday, October 17th. This form should state all the logistical needs of the Country Booth; for example, number of tables, outside access, electrical outlets, hot plates, TV, etc. Should there be some volunteers needed to help to run the booth, pls indicate this on the form, the QSI community would try to help.
- International Week Committee will assign the locations to booth and provide timing and all related arrangments, presenting the DRAFT version on the next PSG meeting (November 5th)
- Parents organizing Country Booths usually meet independently to decide what activities will be offered; some parents may wish to organize a “joint booth” representing more than one country.
- Parents who would like to organise an activity, but not necessarily a whole country booth may also be accommodated together with other likeminded parents. Pls let us know on the email@example.com.
- Booths can be set up either on Friday, November 16th, from 4:30-6 p.m. and/or onSunday, November 18th from 3-5 p.m.
- PSG Budget Review
PSG has asked the school community to indicate the activities and their requests from the PSG funds for the current year, so far we are aware of the following activities and requests:
- CESSA HS Girls Basketball Tournament March 2019 - rent of GYM and referees
- Model United Nations Confence in Rome, spring 2019 (to help to cover the associated costs)
- World Scholar´s Cup in Sarajevo - spring 2019 - T-shirts for the participating students
Prior any decision on the PSG funds spending, the grant receiver shall present the project to PSG, providing written request with details. The PSG funds are limited and dependant on the proceeds from the Winter Concert and the Summer fair; High School students are continuously encouraged to raise their own funds by e.g. parties, sales etc.
The next PSG meeting shall be held on November 5th.
- QSI Parent Support Group