In order to be considered for transitioning out of the Intensive English program, the student must meet the following requirements:
- Score independently at level Z on the Fountas and Pinnell Benchmark Assessment.
- Not have any open units in Intensive English Reading or Language Arts except for the ones currently engaged in.
- Consistently show good study habits as evidenced by*:
- Actively participating in all class activities without prompting
- Completing all assignments on time and with consistent effort
- Keeping up with all expectations for homework
- Taking notes in class and maintaining a neat folder of work
- Going through the writing process on writing assignments, including independent revision of work and conscientious proofreading
- Score at grade level on an age appropriate writing prompt
*Recognizing that a student can go through a change in motivation over the course of the year, “consistently” may be defined as exhibiting these behaviors over the course of one full unit.
Once a student has achieved the first three of these benchmarks, then the student or a teacher can request the writing prompt. This writing prompt will be read by a neutral observer and will be scored based on a rubric.